WE’RE LOOKING FOR A COMMUNICATIONS FELLOW
Job Title: Communications Fellow
Location: New York, NY
Working Hours: 20hrs/wk
Length of Fellowship: 3 months
Deadline: January 4th
The People’s Forum (TPF): We are a new non-profit in New York City that serves as resource for, and collaborates with community members and organizations in advancing the struggles of the poor and dispossessed. We are located in midtown Manhattan at 320 West 37th Street. Our staff is a tight-knit group of enthusiasts who believe in the potential of collective action to change the world we live in. At The People’s Forum, we work at the interaction of education, culture and independent media. Our space serves as a movement incubator for grassroots organizations and individuals to gain knowledge, connect, and exchange ideas for collective action. We’re committed to building a diverse team that represents many perspectives, skills, and experiences.
Position Summary: We are looking for a dynamic and creative person to join our communications team for a 3-month communications fellowship. We would like the fellowship to be an opportunity for you to build upon the skills you have learned in an academic or professional setting while also making a genuine contribution to TPF’s work. Emphasis of this position is on graphic design. Basic knowledge of SEO and social media marketing is required.
Main Responsibilities. Include but are not limited to the following (with flexibility to implement other projects of value and interest):
DIGITAL PRODUCTION + SEO + SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
- Create graphics and other digital content (flyers, posters…) that can be shared on social media channels, in particular on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and website.
- Support creating marketing materials and campaigns for promotion of events and for programmatic purposes.
- Maintain and improve existing archiving systems for promotional materials and photos.
- Monitor site statistics and research and develop new ways to improve engagement and increase site and social media traffic.
Experience and Qualifications
- Knowledge of computer systems, including internet navigation, office applications, and specifically, interactive digital media.
- Proven experience with graphic design and using Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Familiar with social media, and social media analytics.
- Excellent written communication and copy-editing skills.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments with competing deadlines.
- Self-motivated with a desire to learn in a cross-cultural context and take initiative
- Creative mind and storytelling skills.
- Commitment, diversity and inclusion, integrity.
- Ability to working with people.
- Proven ability to be flexible, independently manage time, balance and prioritize simultaneous assignments.
- Monthly stipend of $1200.
- Dedicated space to work at The People’s Forum Media Lab
- Full access to events and classes hosted at The People’s Forum.
Please include “Communications Fellow” in the subject line of the email and submit your application by January 4, 2019. Submit to the Communications Manager, Belén Marco firstname.lastname@example.org and the Executive Director, Manolo De Los Santos email@example.com the following:
- A cover letter indicating why you are interested in The People’s Forum, what you hope to get out of this Fellowship, and what you think you can contribute (one page max.).
- Samples to any online work, including but not limited to graphic design projects, videos, and photography.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. The People’s Forum expressly prohibits any form of discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. The People’s Forum is dedicated to Anti-Oppression and Equity.